Wednesday 29 August 2012

The changing face of news journalism


I’m going to be honest. News journalism terrifies me. The speed at which breaking news is posted online and broadcast on radio and television is, to me, ridiculous. 

Yes, I agree that it is completely necessary to have that speed to communicate with an audience when it comes to the news. However, I feel like I need the space to be able to ensure accuracy in my work the first time it is written. 

Marissa Calligeros, a journalist for brisbanetimes.com.au, discussed the importance of speed and accuracy on Friday, and how online journalism is evolving to attract a larger audience.

With the ever-growing popularity of social media, it is becoming an increasingly important tool to reaching your audience instantly. Google Maps, photo galleries and, something I had never thought about before, raw video all make people feel as if they are involved in breaking news. The combination of all of these elements draw in your audience and encourage them to stay on your article.

As always with journalism, Marissa reminded us that the deadline is NOW. When it comes to breaking news, you need to be able to have at least two sentences up in two minutes. 

So while I don’t think that news journalism is for me, it was interesting to hear what it is like to work in a breaking news environment. Who knows, maybe I will have a change of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment