Sunday 26 August 2012

Changing opinions on radio journalism


Throughout my senior years at high school I was so passionate about becoming a radio journalist. Not because I had a great interest in the news, rather because I really loved music.

Since then, I have clearly learned that being a radio journalist is not about seeking out cool new tracks to play for my listeners. It is about engaging listeners through multiple platforms. And not really about music at all. 

After having these dream-crushing realisations, I was not completely turned off the idea of radio journalism. In fact, it has become even more appealing. Not only is it broadcasting breaking news, but having discussions with listeners and co-workers about current issues and events. Furthermore, as Spencer Howson, radio broadcaster and presenter at 612 ABC Brisbane, discussed last Friday, radio in the traditional sense is only part of his job description. The rest is based online and in social media. 

As I have previously mentioned, I am not the greatest with Twitter and social media in general. However, there are a couple of good points that Howson made regarding social media. Firstly, Twitter can encourage sources who might be reluctant to comment to come on air. And secondly, Twitter can be used for off-air engagement with listeners as well as social media nuts, broadening his audience.

One thing I cannot agree with Howson on is his warning to students to show bias in personal tweets. What is a radio journalist without an opinion? How can you have productive discussions if you are merely stating facts? Nevertheless, I do understand that making derogatory or controversial comments can affect employment prospects. 

While my perception of radio journalism has changed, it is still something I would like to pursue in the future. However I’m not entirely sure if I could get used to hearing my own voice recorded…

No comments:

Post a Comment