Tuesday 25 September 2012

Live blogging is not as easy as it sounds!



I have written before that I have a certain dislike for news journalism. But live blogging, sounds like something I could like. Daniel Hurst, journalist for brisbanetimes.com.au completely sold it to me.

  • Ditch the normal news story structure? Yes please!
  • Only have to write short updates? Sounds good to me!
  • Don’t have to be clear on all details from the start? It gets better!
  • Can and should include social media? I’ve finally worked out Twitter!
  • Can link to competitors’ articles on the same topic? Seriously, where can I sign up?!

But oh how wrong was I. Live blogging sounds like the easy way out of news journalism while still keeping on the “newsier” side of things, but I think it’s one of the hardest things I have attempted so far in my journalism course.

I cannot seem to write and listen at the same time. Which is a serious problem for a journalist! I couldn’t quite get a grasp on the format, and I was seriously lacking in links to social media, pictures, videos and other articles. And by seriously lacking, I mean I had none of those elements in my attempt at live blogging. The stress of having to constantly update became too much in the end.

I am seriously going to have to work on my multitasking skills if I ever want a job as a professional journalist! And learn to manage the stress of working in high pressure situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment