Thursday 11 October 2012

Reflecting on studying Online Journalism




As my last post for the semester, I feel it would only be appropriate for me to reflect on what I have learned while studying Online Journalism 1 and what I think I can expect in the future from journalism. 

Firstly, I have realised the dedication it takes to maintain a blog. I thought it would be easy to find something to write about each week, but sometimes I got distracted by other things and sometimes I just completely lacked motivation. I did find the lecture about blogging by Nikki Parkinson the most interesting, as it was definitely something I could see myself doing in the future. It proved that I could combine a journalism job with a particular interest of mine and make a work!

I have learned, or reaffirmed to myself, that my weaknesses do lie in news journalism. If it is something I decide I am passionate about in future, I will need to work on how I perform under pressure. I get too stressed to perform at my best. 

I think the most valuable part of this unit was learning how to use Twitter and other social media platforms, and how they can help you by creating an online profile and showcasing what you are able to do. I strongly believe that the future of journalism will eventually all move to online in one form or another. With applications on iPhones and iPads, news websites and social media websites people will no longer need to pick up a hard copy of the newspaper or magazine. It’s easy and it’s convenient for those who are on the go or just want to check the latest headlines. 

However, I can’t discount journalism in its other forms just yet! I need to be able to get a job, and I think it’s best to be open minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment